Across The Pond
My apologies for not posting more this week. You see, I've been transported to a parallel universe since Wednesday and am trying to make heads-or-tails out of it. Well, that's partially true. I'm "on holiday" in London right now, and not being the travel hound, I'm figuring out a few things fast:
- The "tube" subway system is very logical to navigate
- They all say "toMAHto here and if you say "toMAYto" they look at you like you're from a parallel universe
- The "look both ways before you cross the street" admonition from Mom applies doubly over here
- London is a city of paradox: old yet constantly reinventing; traditional yet trendy; relaxed yet bustling; utilitarian yet glitzy
- I have no future as paparazzi: one sighting of the Queen only yielded an average photograph of her backside. What self-respecting magazine will buy a picture of Her Royal Highness's rear entering her car?
- Make sure your carry-on luggage includes essentials for two days... especially if you're flying Northwest
There will be other lessons as well, but for the most part, it's been a wonderful adventure and a much needed get-away for the wife and me. Will keep posting as I have time.